Sunday, April 21, 2013

Welcome

What is Ethical Alchemy?


Welcome to Ethical Alchemy, an exploration of history, diplomacy, law, politics,  philosophy, gaming, and whatever else comes to mind. Why these categories?

History

I have a B.A. in US History from the University of Minnesota, and have voraciously read, and sometimes wrote, history since I was quite young.  My particular interest is military history; I wrote my senior thesis on the deterrent effect of moving the Pacific Fleet to Pearl Harbor in 1940.

Diplomacy

I was a Foreign Service Officer (diplomat) for twenty-five years, until my retirement in 2012. (Obviously, nothing I post should be seen as reflecting the views of the US Government.)

Law

I have a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Minnesota, and I am an inactive member of the Minnesota Bar. (Obviously nothing I post should be considered legal advice.)

Politics

With Damocles' sword (the Hatch Act) gone from over my head, I can more freely engage in political discussion, even advocacy.  Plus, I met hundreds if not thousands of politicians in my career as a political officer, so I do have some opinions on the breed. 

Philosophy

As my wife notes, philosophy means simply a love of wisdom.  It is a truism, but wisdom is a rarer gem than knowledge, and knowledge less common than mere feeling.

Gaming

I started playing commercial wargames in 1972, D&D in 1975, poker in 1977. N.b.: On Boardgamegeek.com I am PScipio.  See, e.g.: http://rpggeek.com/rpgdesigner/26899/alan-j-carlson

Whatever else?

Why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment