Friday, April 2, 2021

 Vaccines and Faux Outrage


Outrage #1: “Are 'they' going to demand I have a vaccine passport to vote?”

Let's see: Like wearing a mask and staying home when you are sick, the COVID-19 vaccine is largely about protecting others and controlling the spread of a highly contagious disease, in contrast to the tetanus vaccine, which is entirely about protecting the recipient. So, getting the COVID-19 vaccine says you care about others, not just yourself. John Stuart Mills, not Ayn Rand. Altruistic, not sociopathic. Frankly and personally speaking, I'd prefer society to be steered by the former, not the latter.

But ultimately, requiring a vaccine passport to vote is voter suppression, and I oppose voter suppression, or indeed any artifical barrier to the ballot box. Can I ask a favor though of those who will not vaccinate: Stay home and Vote by Mail.

Outrage #2: “Why are 'they' opposed to voter ID when I had to show ID to get vaccinated?”

Generally, I dislike arguing from anecdote, but it is a valid approach in this case. I got my first shot Tuesday. It worked almost EXACTLY the same as when I vote: I signed up online, stated my identity and my qualifications, swore electronically I was telling the truth. I then went to the facility to complete the interaction, provided my name and date of birth, and completed the interaction. At no time did I actually provide state-issued identification. (I note that I lying on my voter registration and upon getting my ballot would have both been felonies, with hefty jail sentences and fines possible. Lying in connection to the vaccine would only have disqualified that application.)

No comments:

Post a Comment